SALT LAKE CITY — A cafeteria manager and her supervisor who were placed on leave after school lunches were taken away from dozens of students and thrown in the garbage will be returning to work.
The two employees at Uintah Elementary School were placed on paid leave while the Salt Lake City School District investigated why the lunches were taken from students who owed money in their lunch accounts.
The cafeteria manager will be returning to work Thursday, and her supervisor will return Tuesday, said district spokesman Jason Olsen.
One woman, whose daughter had her lunch taken away on Jan. 29, said Wednesday that she and other parents don't blame the cafeteria manager for the incident.
“We’re extremely happy to know she will be coming back,” said the woman who asked not to be named because she wanted to "lay low" after the incident that became national news. “We are sure that everything will be resolved as it should.”
The school district says it has instituted new measures to ensure parents are better informed about their child’s lunch account balances. Parents will receive automatic notifications when their child’s account balance is less than $10.
The district also enacted a new policy last week that says students will receive full lunches regardless of their account balances and any discussions about the lunch accounts will only involve parents and not the children.