Quantcast
Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014

Barbecue grill sparks 3-alarm fire, kills dog

By McKenzie Romero, Deseret News

Published: Mon, Aug. 11 9:45 p.m. MDT

(Daniel Epperson)

MAGNA — A barbecue grill sparked a three-alarm fire that ripped through an apartment building and killed a dog on Monday.

The fire was reported at Copper Creek Condominiums, 3780 S. 8070 West, just before 7 p.m. Crews arrived to see smoke and flames pouring from the building.

The fire was caused be a barbecue grill on a deck, Unified Fire Capt. Fitzgerald Petersen said. The connecting upstairs unit was destroyed in the blaze.

The unit next to the condo where the fire began was also damaged by flames. Four more units below were damaged by smoke and water. The fire also spread to the attic.

A family dog died in the destroyed unit, according to Petersen. Residents went door to door and made sure their neighbors had evacuated safely.

"They did a good job in that capacity and made sure everyone got out," the captain said.

Residents in the six damaged units were displaced overnight. No one was injured in the fire but some residents were treated at the scene for anxiety.

Recommended