Monday, Sept. 1, 2014

Brigham Young University presidents, past and present (12 items)

By , Deseret News

March 12, 2014

On March 11, 2014, Brigham Young University announced a change in its university president. Kevin J Worthen, 57, BYU's advancement vice president and former dean of the BYU law school, will become BYU's 13th president on May 1.

Here is a look at BYU's school presidents past.

Editor's Note: The following list has previously been published on BYU's website and is being republished here with permission from the school.

1 of 12. Warren N. Dusenberry

(1876) Probate judge, attorney, and Provo businessman who was briefly the principal of the first experimental term of Brigham Young Academy.

2 of 12. Karl G. Maeser

(1876-1892) Second principal of BYA and later superintendent of LDS Church schools; expanded the educational opportunities for BYA students, organized some of the students into a normal (teacher training) school and recruited a competent faculty to sustain what became the foremost teacher training institution in the territory, and, after a fire destroyed the home of the Academy in 1884, helped keep the school together through subsequent moves until approval was given, funding challenges were met, and the school's own building, the Academy Building, was dedicated in 1892.

3 of 12. Benjamin Cluff

(1892-1903) Third principal of BYA whose diligence in upgrading the Academy's Collegiate Department sufficiently contributed greatly to BYA becoming Brigham Young University.

4 of 12. George H. Brimhall

(1904-1921) Fourth president of the BYA for a few months before becoming the fourth president of BYU; increased BYU's preeminence as a teacher training institution, upgraded the overall college program, initiated buildings on temple hill and reinstated football as part of BYU's athletic program.

5 of 12. Franklin S. Harris

(1921-1945) Internationally recognized agronomist who became the fifth president of BYU; worked hard to increase the status of BYU as a university, contributing greatly to bettering programs, the campus, and the school's semi-centennial in 1925, and helped the university successfully complete its first accreditation by the Association of American Universities.